Friday, July 4, 2008

Home from Trip 1




We're home! Trip was E-A-S-Y! We even caught an earlier flight from Chicago to St. Louis.




On our third & last visit with Baby Jill, the doctor we'd hired (for $650!) confirmed for us her stats look good and her rash, while miserable, can be controlled with the medicines we purchased and left behind for her. I'm only hoping the orphanage staff will actually use them. The thought of her scratchy and itchy for the next 8 - 10 weeks makes me so sad. Of other importance on the health front, we heard from Dr. Olga who runs the Moscow side of our agency's program. She'd personally seen Jill in mid-May and talked us through some of the issues we'd been concerned with from a developmental front. To sum it up, we believe she has the "normal" orphanage delays compounded by feeling just terrible due to the itching. We'd already signed the petition to adopt her not knowing this but had wanted to know more from Dr. Olga and the outside doctor so we could start preparing for what she'll need when she come home. Vlad, our facilitator in Moscow, calls the doctor we used "the big potato". Apparently, this guy has a good resume!




We did elicit some cute smiles and coos from Jill on our last visit and even had her fall asleep on my shoulder before her caregivers came to take her for nap time. When she fell asleep, the thumb came out of the mouth but the grip on me never loosened. My guess is this was one of the only times she'd been held like that and she was not ready to let go. It was really hard to say goodbye but we know the drill and we also know we'll be back just as soon as possible to bring her home.




We're off to the lake now to reunite with the boys and celebrate the 4th of July. Thanks for continuing to follow along on our Journey for Jill!




8 comments:

Tamara said...

Oh Sherri - I'm so glad y'all had a great trip. I LOVE the photo of her sleeping on your arm with her cute little chub chub cheeks. What a doll! I'm sure all her needs can be met with her two big brothers, your love and some Boxer smoochies :) Have a great 4th! Tamara

Nichole said...

Those cheeks are to die for!! I can't stand it! So happpy everything went so smoothly for you. Praying for a quick court date!

Katie and Pete said...

So glad that your last visit went so well. I too love that picture of her asleep on you.

Sherri, you are going to have the strongest arms in St. Louis carrying both Jill and Jacob!

Have a wonderful time at the lake. Cannot wait to hear more when you get back.

Unknown said...

Sherri,

I'm just catching up - what a cutie! Isn't it great the first time they fall asleep in your arms? I remember Alex acting a little put off by us as well - in fact on our second trip he cried during our entire first (hour long) visit. Talk about feeling rejected!! But, these days I have to beg him to leave me alone for just few minutes (he even wants company during potty time).

Anyway, I'm sure that she will make a great addition to your family, and can't wait to meet her!!

Congratulations on having trip one done!

Cristina

Cyndi&darrel said...

Welcome back! Jill looks terrific, and we're so happy for you two (four....five?). Those ARE some cheeks!!! talk with you soon...

Sarah said...

I'm sooo glad everything went well for you! She is absolutely adorable! Was she is orphanage 3? That's where we're headed back to this weekend. Lighthouse is awesome! I'm so glad they are coming through for all of us. Congratulations! -Sarah

Anonymous said...

I think her cheeks even beat out Clare's, lol! I am so glad the doc gave her some medicine to help the itchies. Hope we travel together again!

Much Love,

Jules

Amy said...

She's gorgeous! I was terribly behind on your blog -- and just got all caught up!

Congrats and welcome home. Here's to hoping your wait is short!